Thursday, February 4, 2010

free

What is being really free? In The passing of Grandison, Grandison was taken by Dick owens to the north so he could run away and be free from the slavery. Grandison kept being loyal saying that he liked being fed well and he could be with his friends back on the plantation. In this mind set he was happy to be where he was because he had his friends and family. Without them he didn't want to go anywhere. That is why he came back and was able to help all his family and some friends escape. As a single person in a free country Grandison did not feel free but when he was able to have his family with him in a free country he felt free. to me this shows that being "free" is more a mind set. if you can be happy in a place or with people you like then you are free. In a place with people you hate and a place you hate you feel like you are in prison.

4 comments:

  1. Cadet Bass makes a great point about being free, and being with the people you care about and love. Grandison couldn't possibly live happily free knowing what his family and friends were still slaving day and night. I think Grandison may not have been book smart, but he was most certainly world smart and he played a really good fool. Bass makes a good point by stating that being with people you hate or in a place you hate can make you feel imprisoned. However, if you are with the people you love, then you're happy. Freedom isn't complete without happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that cadet Bass makes a valid point in his writing. People have different interpretations of what specific items or events signify to them. And in this case, Grandison had a complete different opinion of what happiness meant to him. He was happy when he was around the people he called his family and would sacrifice anything for them, which is why he did not escape from Dick. It wasn’t because he didn’t have the urge and want to do it, but because he knew that true happiness would not be reached through him escaping. Yet the second time that he escaped with his family, he knew that nothing further would ever be needed to bring joy to his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read Cadet Bass’ blog post it makes me think of when people say that good time aren’t good unless you have someone that you care about to share those good times with, to make memories with family and friends that you enjoy being around. It reminds me of times that I have watched movies by myself and I just sit there and watch and I do not have very much fun, but then I watched the same movie with my friends and I laughed the whole time. This is kind of how Grandison felt about freedom; he did not feel happy or complete being free if it meant he had to be free and alone. He needed his family to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you missed the point of the beginning of the story Cadet Bass Grandison was not happy being on the plantation I believe he always wanted to escape but you was correct about him not wanting to leave his family. What Dick did was just make the escape easier for Grandison by allowing him to acquire contact people on the Underground Railroad. And I also felt you could have included how some men do too much to impress a lady I mean breaking the law is trying to hard but Dick did succeed only because she felt sorry for him and he was rich if he was poor I believe he would have died a lonely lazy man.

    ReplyDelete