Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Outcast of Poker Flats

The Outcast of Poker Flats is a very interesting story which starts us of giving us the date and time the plot takes place. Tells us about the residents of Poker Flats which wanted to improve the town by expelling trouble makers or people not too good. The main character which is a professional gambler called John Oakhurts was one of the persons that they either wanted to leave town or hung him and kill him. He leaves town and find this group of people called the outcasts in which we find two prostitutes and a alcoholic and thief. They met each other and decide to camp outside town they did not had to many provisions to survive so they rationalize it after a couple of days there comes this young couple which just got married even against the will of Piney Wood’s dad. They join the outcast group after a couple of days being there they got snowed in and the food supplies were almost gone. One morning they woke up and uncle Billy one of the outcast has left the cabin, mother Shipton dies of starvation as well as Piney. Mr. Oakhurts gives Tom the innocent a pair of snow shoes after that they all go to sleep and mr. Oakhurts kills himself with a pistol.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this commentary by Ms. Aponte. She gives a brief, but detailed description of the beginning of the story and then proceeds to elaborate further on the inner plot of the story and give us an in depth look into a few of the townspeople and the lives they lead. Having read the story myself, I was able to adequately follow her summary and opinion of the story. I was glad she recapped the major events in the story such as who died when and how the story unfolded because I was able to imagine myself being on such a journey and being in a similar situation. Great commentary and I look forward to hearing more from this quite studious cadet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Aponte’s does an excellent job on giving us a small detailed summary and her opinion of the story. I actually enjoyed reading The Outcast of Poker Flats. Since the beginning of the story you can see that there is a lot going on and it makes you want to read it and see what would actually happen with all the characters. While I read the story I started to admire and respect the figure of John Oakhurt but I got really disappointed in the end of the story when I found out that he just took the easy way out t o his problems and kill himself. Overall this is a great story that I really enjoyed and would love to recommend it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete