Friday, March 26, 2010

Dream Boogie

In the poem “Dream Boogie” by Langston Hughes a little girl is talking to her dad about the boogie- woogie. At this point in time music and dancing was a big part of their heritage and who they were. The little girl is trying to show how happy the music makes them feel. She explains how their feet are moving and going beat by beat. She also tries to explain how underneath the dancing it is like words are trying to come out. I think that what she means by that is, that the feeling of the people show through their dancing, their music, and their actions. They don’t have to say what they are thinking because it is displayed throughout their motions. She also keeps asking if it is a happy beat, but from what I got out of the poem I believe it is. Seeing as how at the end she said, “I’m happy! Now take it away!” and then went on to sing and dance. I believe that our society should be like that as well. And no matter the hard times just let loose and let is all go sometimes through the music. It is their place to get away!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Cadet Gonzalez. She states that no matter the hard times just let loose and let it all go sometimes through the music. I completely agree, music is a way to just forget about everything and just sit down some where and listen to the lyrics of songs. It always helps my mood and relaxes me. It a huge stress release to just just relax and listen. Just like in the poem "Dream Boogie" the little girl shows her happiness through music. Music is one of the best ways to show your feelings and mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with Cadet Gonzalez. She helped me understand that the music is an expression of their feelings and it was a big part of their culture. And how they also express themselves through dancing I didn't think about till Gonzalez pointed that out. And just try to be happy cause some things you can't help and you just need to work through the best you can. She's right with just letting loose and going with the flow of things. You're not gonna be able to conrol everything that happens in your life, might as well live life to the fullest and express yourself the best you can.

    ReplyDelete