Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Weary Blues

The Weary Blues by Langston Hughes has a very depressing tone to it. This man playing the piano is sad and lonley and talks about how he doesn't have anyone but himself anymore. It's really sad that he can't be satisfied anymore, and I can't stop thinking about what brought this man to feel this way. I can picture him going to sleep and still playing the tunes in his head, much like me when I can't get Poker Face by Lady Gaga out of my head after hearing it on the radio. I picture a very sad, lonely man just sitting in a dark room each day sobbing about something in his past. The Blues have become a part of his everyday life and it's very depressing. Langston Hughes writes in a way I have never seen, and it's very interesting. I really enjoyed the poem.

2 comments:

  1. I think Cadet Stiffler brings up a great point about Hughe's going to sleep and can't get the tunes out of his head. Music is very unique. It sets the mood of everything. Whenever I'm feeling hyper I tend to play rap music, and whenever I'm feeling down and depressed I tend to listen to country music. Music sets the mood to my day and how I am feeling. Thats the coolest part about music. Thats what I got out of Hughe's poem, that he was feeling depressed at the time, therefore his music and blues came off as sad and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cadet Stiffler makes a point in the poem having a depressing tone and its more like a song with the repetition of lines. Like Stiffler said though it makes you wonder how did he reach the point to feeling that he have doesn’t have anybody but himself now what happen to his family and friends did they all die out are was it a bad decision he made to forced them out he life. Maybe he was a successful man but stepped on people to make it to the top and on his way down he had to deal with the people he stepped on this could easily be a poem about what goes around comes around

    ReplyDelete