Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Dalliance of the Eagles

After reading The Dalliance of the Eagles for the first time I did not quite understand the meaning of the poem. After Stomski’s wonderful presentation the meaning clicked. Whitman uses free verse to express freedom of movement. While walking home one day a man noticed the sun and two bawled eagles. He realized that once the eagles are attracted to a one another, the two bawled eagles began to “cartwheel” through the sky. The eagles lock talons and begin to soar in the sky, before hitting the ground the eagles disengage. I think Whitman is trying to say that people want a perfect life, but are not willing to sacrifice things. The eagles symbolize freedom, knowledge, bravery, and unity. We tend to take life for granite and expect life to come easy. Don’t be scared to be different than everyone else. You can’t live life being scared or you wont get anything out of it. Over all I thought this poem was very inspiring and made me realize that life is what you make of it. Live life in the moment. If you never go and explore than you are never going to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Cadet Clontz brings a really and good point and I totally agree with. When I read the poem I did not quite understood the whole meaning behind it, until cadet Stomski did his presentation. It made my whole point of view change and appreciate the story and meaning behind it. This is actually a really good poem that I would recommend others to read and really appreciate his meaning and learning experiences. Cadet Clontz also does an excellent job on summarizing the most important points and especially the ones that makes others couriose to read and learn more about the poem.

    ReplyDelete