Sunday, January 24, 2010

Collectng leaves to get a tree

The poem Dalliance of the Eagles is interesting because I can put myself in Walt Whitman shoes witnessing this personal as he just take a stroll and witness two eagles perform the dalliance ritual and say to himself this is amazing I should write about it. What I gained from the poem can relate to what my great aunt told me about how people you meet in life are either a tree are leaves. Walt Whitman writes about the people who are leaves. Because they are not present in your life long and seem to blow away with the wind but the impact they have on your life is important and helps in the search for the tree. I gained this from the two eagles meeting in the air which is the simple meet and greet next they become one which is the bond being made then they start on their cartwheel which can be compared to the obstacles faced in life then everything goes downhill and before it turns to a complete disaster they each depart they own way to continue they journey throughout life with more experience and with a better picture of what want in life to replace the leaves with a tree.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Haywood’s example how people are either a leave or a tree. The two eagles are the same way just hooking up for a few moments but they will remember each other forever. The eagles for me though makes me thing for a high school fling. When you meet someone on summer break; you know it’s not going to last a long time but you still learn from that person. Also that person will impact your life forever showing you stuff that can your thoughts about things. I believe that Whitman was still trying to hit on his point that everyone are equal and can impact each other equally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Darrius's response to this poem, and find it very interesting how he describes the eagle's meet and greet turning into a cartwheel where they may find "obstacles" in their life. This clinging talons is showing the anger or hurt and just as Darrius says before it turns into a complete disaster, they depart.. The eagles learn from one another and go their seperate ways. The comments Darrius had about this poem are very head on in my opinion and I think it gives readers a better picture about the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that Haywood brought up a great example. His example relates to everyday life, and is something that ever person can relate to. You are always going to have those people that made an impact in your life. Those are the people that will always be in your life and will be the ones supporting you through the thick and thin. These are your trees. The leaves are people that really didn’t impact your life in any way. It could be someone that you may have seen and talked to a couple of times, but unless mentioned by another person, they are not remembered. Haywood explains that Whitman writes about the leaves, and I find that quite interesting because most of the time someone will write about the people that impacted their lives. But, Whitman decided to be different and write about those who are often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete