Thursday, January 21, 2010

dog

Poem 754 from Emily Dickinson talks about hunting in the woods. To me it comes from the dogs perspective. In line one it says "The owner passed, identified, and carried me away." The word owner is the first word that made me think that it would be a dog. Identify, is giving a name to the animal. Carried would imply that the owner is buying a small puppy to train. It is said that he can speak to the mountains for the owner to me this means that the dog starts to bark. When the mountain reply the bark made hidden animals frightened. This would cause the animals to run so the owner could shoot them. Another hint that I got for it being a dog was " At night...I guard my masters head." The words guard and master are common when we talk about dogs. Also when a dog sleeps with the person he believes is the master they sleep at the foot of the bed or like in the poem by the head to protect them. I think this is a god poem that symbolizes loyalty by using the actions of dogs because dogs tend to be very loyal to their alpha figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment